Devotion is the Key to Everything

A - Napoleon, Ohio

Is there a point in attempting anything if you aren’t going to put your whole heart into it? I believe there is not, and I believe that dedication is the key to completing any task.

For example, for me to be on my high school swim team, I must stay dedicated. If I was not dedicated, my coach would surely boot me from the team. Through my long hours spent at the pool before and after school, my dedication is shown for swimming. I believe that if my heart is not in the right place, then there is no point to continue on with something that my whole heart is not devoted to. It hurts me to see others on my swim team complain about hating the sport all the time. If they really do not like the sport so much, is there really any point in going on with it? Maybe if they put their whole heart into the sport, they would have faster times. They would likely excel a lot more if they were dedicated.

Dedication is also very important in a marriage as well. If a couple is not devoted to their spouse than is there really any point to stay in the marriage? One of my family’s friends is currently going through a divorce because her husband was not devoted to their marriage. It really bothers me to see her hurt so much because of her former husband’s lack of devotion.

The most important thing to be dedicated to is what you want your life to become. After setting goals for myself, there is nothing worse than seeing those dreams ruined by lack of planning on my part. For me, it might be as easy as remembering to write a paper to pass a class or paying bills to keep our house for my parents, but there is no reason to wreck a life by not staying dedicated to accomplishing the goals you set for yourself.

Through dedication, many people can live their lives the way they have always wished. People who have problems with staying dedicated should follow the example of people like Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Because of his dedication to civil rights, many people can live a better life without the fear of discrimination. Everyone should find something in their lives to be dedicated to and stay devote so that they can have the feeling of accomplishing something.