I have Learned

J - Napoleon, Ohio
Themes: gratitude

I Have Learned

I have learned that I should be thankful for everything I have. This feeling has affected my life in a major way. When looking back and remembering what life was like for me it makes me more thankful. I do, not to judge people that do not have nice clothes because I was that person when I was little. When I was a little boy, my mom either made all my clothes or wore clothes handed down from my older brothers. I never had clothing that most kids had or the expensive clothing. My parents told me that we didn’t have the money and to be grateful for the clothes I did have because there were kids in the world that didn’t even have homes or clean clothes to wear.

Now that I am older and have more expensive clothing, my mom always reminds me what life was like before when I through them around like trash. When I saw people buy something that I wanted and asked my mom if I could get it and she would say no, I would complain. She would tell us stories about when she was pregnant and would work two jobs, to make sure they had money to feed us and to keep the house. Its always reminds me how much work they put into giving us the best life possible. It to made me feel really bad for taking advantage of my parents and all their hard work to give me things that I have.

They have also told me to be thankful for what I have because when I move out of the house I will not have the things I have right now. When my parents where young, they lived in a trailer behind my grandparents house. After moving out of the trailer, they moved into a house that was no bigger then an apartment. The houses I lived in when I was little had no ac, had bugs, rats, and all sorts of problems.

Over the years, I have learned to be thankful for what I do have, and when walking through the halls of our school and I see kids that don’t have the clothing or good school supplies I have, it makes me grateful for what I have. I am thankful for my parents saving money and giving me the best things they could. I have learned that not everything comes easy; it comes from hard work and believing that you can do it.