My Lucky Life

K. - Napoleon, Ohio

I have learned that I am a very lucky individual. I believe I will be successful in all important life aspects because of the experiences and examples I have had. With great effort I plan to continue to balance family, friends, and religion.

My family is the most influential part of my life because they provide for me both emotionally and financially while enforcing positive examples such as marriage, work ethic, and morality. Watching television in the adjacent room, I have heard my parents argue, “David! You need to put your dishes in the sink.” “David! Shut the garage door next time you use it. I shouldn’t have to clean up after you.” Never because they were greatly angered with each other, but typically because my dad got carried away in teasing my mother or got lazy around the house. In my extended family of great grandparents, grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins, and parents, there has only been one divorce. Whenever I have a difficult life question, I can talk to my family about nearly everything. My father and sister both hold counseling degrees, so they are very intent on listening and talking me through struggles whether it be a girlfriend or what college I shall attend. “What’s your plan?” my dad regularly questions.

Although I care about my family dearly, I need to regularly have time away from them. Most weekends, when not committed to athletics, I am “chilling with my homies.” It feels great to simply relax and put aside the stress in my life. Moments of playing very “loserish” board games, Nintendo, intramurals, and lacrosse never seem to last long enough; however, I am very fortunate and grateful to have them.

Equally as important, are the values of religion I try diligently to follow. Though I am far from perfect, I believe the doctrine to hold all truth. Attending Sunday church is far from my favorite activity of the week simply because I get bored with the length and repetitiveness of each service. Listening to Christian radio helps remind me to be a “good” person and to have the “right” attitude.

In conclusion, I realize that life is not fair and challenges are on the horizon. I have been both directly and indirectly discriminated against. I was denied into my school’s National Honor Society, and my dad, the superintendent, soon received an anonymous letter of apology from a member of the teaching staff. Applying for college has become more difficult because I am Caucasian and universities are making a push for diversification. However, by having the “right” attitude my plan is to balance what means the most to me: Family, friends and religion.