Hard Work Pays Off

R - Napoleon, Ohio
Themes: work

HARD WORK PAYS OFF

I have learned that hard work pays off. Ever since I was a little kid, I have always been very competitive. I have always wanted to win or be the first one done at everything I did, which was not always a good thing. Winning was not always been the case for me, as a little kid I was very slow at running, uncoordinated, and was in my own little world most of the time. Most of the time when I wanted to be the first one done, I was usually the last one done. I tried so hard at sports, games and even schoolwork, but being last just made activities not fun for me and led to me giving up.

Then when I was eight years old, I joined the swim team; I was an all right swimmer and liked doing it. When I first started swimming, the other kids were a lot better than I was. Even though I was almost always last, I noticed that everyday I just kept getting better and better, which gave me confidence. I just wanted to beat the other kids so bad. Swimming soon became a natural skill of mine, and now as a senior in high school, no one can beat me.

Hard work is not something that I learned by myself; I learned it from following people that I looked up to. Ever since I was a little kid, I always wanted to be just like my dad: Someone who was successful, but when things did not go his way, he just tried again–he never gave up. I have also looked up to a lot of professional athletes. For years, I always admired the professional football players who would spend may hours in the weight room before and after practice, working as hard as they could, to be better than their opponent.

I believe that hard work does not just make people better at sports; it makes them better at everything. Hard work is a skill that everyone would like to have and is something that a lot of people look for in someone. When I graduate and start living on my own, I hope that my hard working habits help me have a happy life. Every time I do something I remember what I learned, and whatever task that is in front of me, I complete it the best I can.