Little White Lies

B. - Napoleon, Ohio

“Little White Lies”

I believe that honesty is the liberator of the conscious. The same story seems commonplace when discussing lies. A series of lies always starts as a “little white lie” meant to be of no harm simply to get a person out of a “sticky” situation. However, more often then not, this simple little lie snowballs when a person finds out how much they can get away with by simply telling a “little white lie”. Simply telling the truth in the first place, instead of telling that little white lie, could save a person an enormous amount of disarray when the lies come crashing down.

In my 17 years on this the planet Earth, I have learned many lessons, and none hold as true as this. In my years of existence, I have seen people tell little white lies countless times, and sometimes it stops at that. Some people understand that the white lie was just a scapegoat and that just using it the one time to help out was acceptable, and they jump right back on the beaten path. However, there are those occasions, which occur all too often, where a person abuses their newly discovered “lying power” and it turns into a giant, vicious circle. By vicious circle, I mean that eventually the lie catches up with a person, and they have to lie more just to cover up the original lie. I personally have told little white lies in order to get me out of a situation. However, I have only abused the lying power one time. I learned my lesson.

When teenagers enter high school, they are often surrounded by peer pressure to attend parties and participate in underage drinking. This is a perfect opportunity for a teen to tell a white lie. I once talked to my friends, and we decide to head to a party that night. I told my parents I was staying over at a friend’s house so they “know” where I was (little white lie number 1). I knew I wasn’t staying at my friend’s house, but this was the perfect lie for me to tell to get out of the house. This lie isn’t going to hurt anybody, and it’s just this one time. The next day rolls around, and my parents knew I hadn’t stayed where I said I was. I made up a story that I had stayed somewhere else. They believed me. Eventually my parents found out I was lying, and I got in a lot of trouble. Had I just told my parents the truth in the first place, I may have still gotten punished, but maybe not as severely.

Having a guilty conscious is a terrible feeling. Telling the truth would be a huge relief on the conscious and potentially save a lot of trouble. In the future, just tell the truth. It feels better than lying.