Change Your Life

B - Napoleon, Ohio
Themes: carpe diem

I believe that you cannot walk through life without living it to the fullest. Many people in our world today see a way in which we are supposed to live our lives. We grow up playing tag and cops and robbers with our childhood friends. As we get older, some of our friends change, and we start to see different cliques form. We go through high school experiencing many new and scary parts of life. Then we go to college. We see what it is like to live on our own and be independent. Then, find a job, start a family, eventually stay in this routine for the rest of our lives until it ends. Life almost never plays out the way we expect it to. Not everyone in life has the same path they must take.

My father grew up in a very small farming town in northwest Ohio. He had two loving and supporting parents and eventually would have a brother and sister in his late childhood. When he was in high school, he started working for the family business that his father created. He attended a local community college and earned his associates degree. For the family business and other businesses, he started to drive semi-trucks, and now, 25 years later, he’s doing the same thing. He gives great advice to me, especially about my future. The one piece of advice he gives to me the most is to not end up like him. He is very comfortable financially and with life, but he doesn’t enjoy his job. He often tells me, “Find something you love to do and make that be your job, you don’t want to end up like me.” It takes a lot of courage to admit something like that to your child, and I respect him for that. Because of him, I want to find things I love in life. I will find the job I love. I will discover new hobbies. I will try new things. I will never settle for anything less than the best.

I aspire to be like my father in some ways, but also to improve upon where he has fallen short. As many famous men have said, “Shoot for the stars,” and “Live as if you’ll die tomorrow.” People cannot walk through the paces of life and settle for less. We must strive to be the best that we can possibly be and cherish everyday as if it were our last. I believe that you cannot walk through life without living it to the fullest.