I believe

S - Napoleon, Ohio

I believe that money can’t buy happiness. It doesn’t matter how much money a person has, they can still be unhappy. However, there are people today who do have a lot of money and are completely happy and content. There are two different opinions to the statement I have learned. There are people who have a lot of money and continually buy things believing that one more material thing can make them happy. Then, there are also people who just have friends and family who bring them happiness. Although some material things would be nice, that is not the only thing I need to be happy.

When I think of what truly makes me happy, I think first of having my family and friends around. If I didn’t have those people in my life I would be lost; they have helped me through my hardest days. Besides the material items, one of the most important things we all need in our life is friendship. I can’t put a price on a good friendship. If I have that one person, if my life I will be happy. Although certain material things could make me happy, they will never be there like a good friend is. There are many things today that keep people happy without having to always buy something new. My parents have always told me that what really made them happy was spending time as a family. Just like a friendship, my family will never leave me. Money can come and go, but my friends and family are always there.

At times, it seems like the only way to be truly happy is to buy something I have always wanted. There are many times when I have seen a new purse or new a new outfit and I really wanted to buy it, but after seeing the price tag, I put it back down. Every once in a while, I will buy something new, but it seems like after a couple weeks, it is ordinary like everything else I have. It is shortly after the item is bought that I get tired of the item and realize that at one point it made me happy, but not anymore.

Money can make life a lot easier at times and is helpful in many ways. However, it should not be the only thing we need to make us happy. It is nice to have the money when it is there, but we have to realize that once it is gone the more important things will always still be there. It’s not impossible for money to make people happy, but there are many people today who are very wealthy, but very lonely and unhappy. Money can’t buy happiness. This I believe.