M - Napoleon, Ohio
Themes: setbacks

This I believe…

I believe that people can learn from their mistakes. I am only seventeen-years-old, and I find myself using my mistakes to make things right. I can only imagine how older people have learned from their mistakes. Mistakes happen all the time; they are never planned. I believe people should take advantage of these mishaps in life.

Learn what to do the next time around. When I find myself in a tough situation or a situation that I have failed at before, my past helps me make a decision. I play basketball and have for about eight or nine years. Coaches always know when their player makes a mistake. I cannot even count the number of times I have made a mistake while on the floor, some more than once.

I believe these mistakes, along with others, are supposed to happen. Mistakes will only make us stronger in the end. If we were not supposed to mess up every now and then, we would have been made perfect, but we weren’t. It is okay to mess up sometimes as long as I look at my mistake in a positive way, see what good will come out of the mistake and next time, fix it. My mother has always told me to find the positives. Looking at a mistake in a positive aspect gives me hope that I can learn from it in the future.

Sometimes making mistakes comes with being scolded, which, in the long run, helps me remember what not to do the next time. For example, someone in my home is supposed to take my dog out to go to the bathroom everyday after school. Normally, I am not the one to do this because I am at practice or a game, but one day it was different. I was able to stop by home before leaving for a game, and I completely forgot to take him out. When my mom arrived home from work, she noticed my dog had had an accident as a result of me not doing the right thing. As soon as she saw me, she was sure to let me know what I had done wrong. I have learned I can’t forget.

Making mistakes and learning from them gives a person a chance to make his/her own life better. If a person chooses not to learn from his/her mistakes, he/she will continue to not be happy. Make a mistake, find the positives, and learn from them. Figure out what not to do the next time around and use faults to an advantage. I know mistakes are going to happen, so when I make them, I look at them in a positive way. I believe mistakes are okay.