I Believe In Laughter

S. - Napoleon, Ohio

I believe in laughter. To laugh is to express mirth, pleasure, derision, or nervousness with an audible, vocal explosion of air from the lungs that can range from a loud burst of sound to a series of quiet chuckles and is usually accompanied by characteristic and facial bodily movements. This is the formal definition for laugh. The laughter I believe in is the laughter that can’t be controlled. The laughter that comes out when one does or says something that can’t help but be laughed at is what I consider real laughter. I believe that this laughter can solve or help with many situations in life. Laughter can turn what started out as a normal day into an unforgettable memory. When I’m sick and I don’t feel well at all and someone does something to make me laugh, my sickness doesn’t seem so bad anymore, and I often feel better. I’ve heard stories of people who are really sick, and with a positive attitude and laughter, they become well again. Laughter is kind of like a medicine. Doctors may not prescribe it, but I firmly believe that laughter can help someone who is sick become well sooner than those who don’t laugh.

I think it’s important that people have someone in their life that can always make them laugh. It makes me feel extremely lucky that I have two people in my life that can make me laugh in this way no matter how I feel. One of these people does or says crazy things quite often that I can’t help laughing at. I can’t count how many times she or I have done something that has made us both laugh until there are tears running down our faces, our stomachs have hurt, and we could barely breath. This is an almost every day occurrence. This kind of laughter is the kind that makes one feel great afterwards. I also have someone else in my life who knows how to make me laugh no matter what mood I’m in. If I’m down and upset or mad about something, I can always count on this person to cheer me up. There are times when I don’t even feel like smiling, and I end up laughing. Sometimes, I even forget why I was upset in the first place. This amazes me.

Laughter may not solve all situations, but I believe that laughter can help someone in an incredible way. So next time you’re upset, find a way to laugh, and maybe it will help you too.