We are the Music-Makers

Monica - Defiance, Missouri

We Are the Music-makers

I believe in music. I believe that music holds the power to move people’s minds and hearts. Music can be used as a powerful tool and a secret weapon. Music takes you to a place outside of the hectic, stereotypical mind of the world. Music resonates in people’s souls, mends broken relationships, and ignites a passion within people that can make miracles happen.

I’ve heard the story countless times. The one about the time they went to the symphony when she was pregnant with me. About how I did nothing but dance in her stomach the whole time. My mom always tells me that even when she was only six months pregnant with me, I already had a passion for music. My passion and love for music has been apparent my whole life, and I believe that music holds a great power. There is a poem that illustrates my love for music perfectly: “We are the music-makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams, wandering by lone-sea breakers, and sitting by desolate streams; world-losers and world-forsakers, on whom the pale moon gleams: Yet we are the movers and shakers of the world forever, it seems” (Arthur O’Shaughnessy). I feel that the music-makers of the world are vitally important to the way the world functions. I am a music-maker. In my own life, I turn to music when I’m stressed out, distracted, or confused about something. Music calms me down and helps put my life into perspective. I can reflect on things going on in my life when I listen to music, and it helps me see things clearly. Decisions are easier to make when I listen to music, and it helps me appreciate the small things. My passion for music is almost unexplainable. There is a quote that illustrates my view on what I think it means to be a fan of music: “To truly love some silly little piece of music, or some band, so much that it hurts” (“Almost Famous”). When there is a song that clicks in my mind, or that I can relate with deep within myself, I love it so much that it hurts. My passion for music comes from deep in my soul, and it resonates in my heart.

There is a quote that often comes to my mind when I think of music in today’s society: “Music, you know, true music, not just rock and roll, it chooses you. It lives in your car, or alone, listening to your headphones- you know, with the vast, scenic bridges and angelic choirs in your brain. It’s a place apart from the vast, benign, lap of America” (“Almost Famous”). The people of the world do not find their own music. It finds them. I believe that no matter how crazy, hectic, and insane someone’s life may be, music is the one thing that can keep you sane. Someone can have their mind made up about a certain subject or instance, and a song will come on the radio that will make them totally change their mind. Music softens even the hardest of hearts, and can make people realize their faults. It can heal broken relationships, and broken hearts. It is a peacemaker, and it is used every day as such. It is God’s gift to His people, and He knew what He was doing when He created it: He was creating the single-handed most powerful tool known to man.

My passion for music helps me live life in today’s crazy world. It has taught me many lessons about people all around the world. Music from different bands reflects on what has gone on in the life of the band, and in their past. Music from different eras ties in the different things that happened in that time. Some of my favorite music is from the Vietnam War era. Music from different times and different bands helps me to understand how the world works, and how the different music-makers of the world tell their own stories through song. With all the division and divergence of the world today, I believe music can bring all the continents together in one understanding.

My passion for music makes my world so much more vivid than if I were to live without music as a big portion of my life. As a matter of fact, I can’t even imagine a world without music. To me a world without music seems gray. Music is what puts color into the confusing, chaotic, black-and-white world we live in.