Entitled, No, a Previlege

alexandria - fargo, North Dakota
Themes: disability

I am a totally blind university student, Coast Guard Auxiliarist, and bugler for military honor guards. I was recently on my assistant agency’s website. On the top it says something like, We help disabled people and assist them with certain benefits of which they are entitled. Now let’s think about this for a second. What exactly does entitled mean? Well, to me, entitlement means that you deserve something because you earned something, like veterans are entitled to VA benefits or the GI Bill. I don’t think having a disability entitles anyone to certain benefits! I think you should have to do something for your country to get them! So many people sit on their butts all day and take from our country and don’t give a second thought about it! I think anyone that is on disability benefits of any kind should do something like help in the community or give back to the country somehow. I’ve heard of people looking forward to getting their government checks every month and then spending them on fun or things they don’t need the first few days and not thinking at all about where it comes from! First of all, it comes from tax payers, then from those who fight for our freedoms! I know one thing, when I think about getting benefits, I hate having them because I want to do more for our country. That’s why I am in the auxiliary and honor guard and attending university studying to become a veterans’ representative to help those who make this possible. I just hate how people sit around all day and take advantage of it. When ever I get our country’s money every month, I think, “How would my country want me to spend this.” Then I plan a budget. If I want to do something fun, I use the money that I have rightly earned from honor guard duty or in some other way for that sort of thing. I am so thankful for living in a safe apartment building provided by our country and for my assistant program, once again provided by our country. My classmates are fighting for those freedoms, and people should think about that before just looking forward to checks every month that they didn’t even earn! If I could see, I would enlist right now, but am thankful so much for being a part of honor guard and Coast Guard Auxiliary. God bless America and fly the flag high!