importance of family

obi - houston, Texas
Themes: death, family

I believe in a strong close knit family, because at the end of the day that’s all you got. I am the youngest of 4 children with 1 brother and 2 sisters and I love my family to death. Everybody is in college now but we still do our best to come home for major holidays.

Growing up our family was like the Cosby family on television. We had a great family and wonderful parents. We never wanted for anything but we would still be disciplined if we stepped out of line. We were a very religious family. We went to Church every Sunday and we tried our best to have family prayers every day. Those were the type of things that kept us real close together. My father had a real laid back personality and my mom was the real disciplinarian and that’s how our house was. If we really wanted something we knew to ask my dad because we would have a better chance of getting it.

My father died in 2004 and that was the worst thing that has ever happened to me. We literally watched him die because he was in the hospital for 2 weeks. My mother could not handle it and she is a very strong lady. This was a shocker to the whole family and we were not ready for this. The death of my father was like taking out the legs of my family, it was trying to make us crumble. It was trying to give us a reason to quit on life or why not to have a meaningful life anymore.

Instead it brought us closer together and made us more prayerful. It made us work harder, and it made us cherish our time here on earth because we never knew when it was going to be up. The death of my father made us realize how much we loved each other but also how much we needed each other. Nobody is going to love me as much as my mom loves me and nobody is going to be there for me like my mother is. There are some things that a family gives you that you can’t get no were else.

The death of my father was a tragedy but with every dark cloud there is a silver lining and we found our silver lining. Family, family is the most important thing to you. I believe a lot of things can fail you but at the end of the day family is all you got.