Yes I Can!

Joyce - Alderson, West Virginia

I don’t know about you but all I can say is, “yes I can.” In the 16 years of being on my own I have been told no I can’t over and over. Standing there wanting to get out of the horror of that relationship – not knowing where I’d go or what I would do – all I could say was, “yes I can and yes I will.” Life has been so very hard on me trying to make it from day to day. How many women in this world is stuck in a relationship that they are so terrified they don’t even know there is help out there for them so they don’t have to hear no you can’t anymore. How many days go by those women are beaten to death, or shot by that person telling them,” no they can’t?” It never has to be just a boyfriend, at times it’s a mother, a father, an uncle or even a grandparent.

Wondering as day by day goes by, what ever happened to that girl who believed in the no I can’t statement, I come to find courage; courage in myself that changed that girl to this woman now. I have fought negative obstacle in my life from the beginning of trying to build my own life and future. If only more people knew of the help and support out there for them, more people would say yes I can and everyone would hear less of no you can’t

As my life moves on I was told again, no I can’t on going to school and making something of myself. Once again I had to tell them and myself, yes I can and yes I will; working each day out one at a time, just trying to look forward and not back. There are so many women in this world who has been told no they can’t so many times they honestly believe it and lose their will power to muster up the words, yes I can . Life has moved forward some now and once again I’m told no I can’t –after a terrible car accident- walk on my own ever again without assistance or even do all the normal things I use to do. From the start I said,” yes I can and yes I will.” Here I set now smiling knowing I did it, I walk on my own I do all my things I did before all because I said,” yes I can.”

In this day and time its not just women though, its men and children that have to hear no they can’t every day. So if you see or talk to someone that is trying to change their life or take new directions tell them,” Yes you can!”