I Believe in Man

I believe in honesty and trust. I believe in joy and laughter and the purity of true friendship.

I believe we all once had the power and ability to look to the future with joy and excitement and experience the vulnerability of not knowing what lies ahead but also the feeling of supreme confidence so that first step to the unknown is always taken.

I believe in the innocent ability of children to live life as if it were a fresh unpainted canvas with awe and wonder, and I can’t understand why that ability seems to leave us as we age.

I look at this world, our world, which is inhabited by all kinds of people, black, white, yellow, brown, short and tall. So many types of people, from a to z. I believe it would be so much more boring if we were all the same.

I have known bullies and know-it-alls, liars and thieves, and I have experienced the judgment of ignorant opinion.

But I have also been in a playground filled with children, all kinds of different beings whose most pressing goal in their life at that moment is not to hurt and take advantage of others but simply to have fun. I wonder why something so important sometimes seems to fade away as we progress with our busy lives.

I believe there is no such thing as perfection. There is no perfect song or book or movie or doctrine.

I also believe nature understands this.

Evolution is a constant relentless process that has been going on since time began and will continue until time ends.

The universe has had billions of years to achieve perfection, and yet, it has been in a constant state of flux, ever growing and changing. New galaxies are born, some die. Young stars flame on in a brilliance of gas and light and energy while others burn out or explode with a dazzling display of power that the human mind can barely comprehend.

If there truly were such a thing as perfection, what would we have left to strive for, what goals would remain for the indomitable human spirit to achieve?

Yes there is misery in our world, heartache, sadness, hunger and injustice.

However, there is also fairness and joy and love and kindness to be found if we could just look beyond the existing horizon with our eyes, minds and hearts open.

So I believe in hope. The hope that the leaders of the world and indeed all mankind can one day look past their petty grievances and immature ideas of right and wrong. Look past their ill-conceived notions of what is the right look, the right religion, the right beliefs and the right color of a persons skin.

I believe in all this and more and, if I had just one wish, it is to live long enough to see if the world can begin to embrace these ideas and someday lead us to a wonderful new dawn of mankind.