Respect Goes Both Ways

Anthony - La Mesa, California
Themes: respect

I believe that respect goes both ways within a friendship, relationship, or even a conversation. Even when the situation is not a good one, showing respect makes dealing with a particular problem much easier. Throughout history there have been many situations in which respect was totally done away with, which resulted with consequences of the situation to be dire. The biggest example of respect going both ways within a conversation would have to be when a parent and their child get into an argument. When both sides use respectful tones, the result is more satisfying for both people.

Throughout growing up, my mother and I had many arguments in which we did not respect each other one bit, because we were both so heated. I thought with time that I would be able to keep my temper under control so that we could have a civilized argument; but in actuality, it got worse. I think that with growing older, came the natural defense barrier to defend myself by arguing and yelling. My mom would always say that respect goes both ways within a conversation and that if I wanted her to respect me, then I would need to respect her and not yell. As time went on I began to realize that the statement was in fact true because I began to lower my voice and things I would say, and when I did that, she began to do the same and the arguments seem to go more smoothly.

There are places and times when respect going both ways goes without saying because it is just the right thing do. Schools, meetings, the workplace, and other formal settings are examples of places where respect should go without saying. Another time where respect is expected is when talking to an elder; they deserve respect because they have been around longer and know more. Plus it is just common courtesy to respect people who are older than you.

There are many signs of respect, both verbally and nonverbally that go both ways. I believe that respect does in fact go both ways, especially in a conversation. You give respect; you get respect, no matter the situation. This is something I feel passionate about because it plays essential roles in my everyday life and the lives of others whom I care about. Learning that respect goes both ways will allow certain situations and conversations to run more smoothly.