I Believe in Singing

Shelly - Cohasset, Massachusetts

I Believe in Singing!

I believe there are two groups of people. People who can sing and people who can not. Just because you can’t sing, though, doesn’t mean you don’t like to. I love to sing. My best performances are definitely in the car…when I’m alone. I’m quite good, if the conditions are right. Singing in the shower, is a cliché. Do people really sing in there? Without music to back them up? I’ve never done it and I have never heard anyone, through the shower door.

I love the emotions in a song – and of course Country Music is the best at bringing out those emotions in me…a broken hearted love song, an upbeat happy song, it doesn’t matter. If I love it, I will sing it…Loudly…if the conditions are right.

Kids are the next best thing to no audience at all. They don’t care if you aren’t as good a singer as you think you are. They are just happy to be apart of it. They don’t tell me I’m not a good singer, which I know wouldn’t be true b/c I know I’m very good, when I’m alone. Why would that change if they are with me?

My best singing is done when I’m happy. I don’t believe it is possible to sing if you are upset – not well, anyway. An emotional, sad song is not the same thing as being upset. That is just being moved by the music, which makes me happy, even if the song is sad.

I have never sung along with a song when I was upset. It is hard to let yourself go to that place of carefree singing, if you are upset about something. Try it…..I bet you can’t do it.

No, the best singing is done in the car, when you are alone. It feels good. You feel strong. Powerful. In control. I love singing in the car. If you see me some day, my lips moving, but I’m alone…You’ll know I’m singing, right on pitch!