I beileve in education!

Isaac - South Euclid, Ohio

I believe in education. When I was a little boy, I used to hate education to the extent that whenever my dad was calling me to write, that was the time I would act like I was sleeping. It got worst when I was five years old. My dad was determined to educate me. One day, my dad was graduating from a business school and I attended the ceremony. On our way home, I asked my dad when was I going to graduate like him and he said “tomorrow”.

The next morning, I woke up very early before everyone and I was waiting for my dad to take me to my graduation ceremony. My dad bathed me and I was expecting him to put on me my graduation coat but he put me in my regular school uniform. He was about to take me to school when I told him that I was not going to school until I graduate that day. My dad tried to force me but I didn’t want to go so I removed two buttons from my uniform shirt and started crying severely. My dad had to put me on his shoulders before he took me to school.

On our way, my dad’s friends were asking him why I was crying. When my dad told them the story, they laughed. My dad dropped me at the school and went home but I ran away from the school and went home. When my dad asked me why I wasn’t in school, I told him that the school dismissed us. I forgot that the principal was my dad’s best friend.

My dad called the principal and asked him what happened. The principal told my dad that I ran away from school. My dad whipped me and sent me to bed from that morning until the next morning. I felt stupid from the point. It was the first time since I was a kid to think about something that I thought was important.

I asked myself, will I allow myself to be punished again for something that will make me a better person in the future? I went to bed thinking about it and I didn’t eat that whole day because I was sad. The next morning, I surprised my dad. I woke up earlier than everyone again and I was trying to write by myself without anyone forcing me to. From that point on, I started liking education and was also one of the brightest students in my class. I got a treat from my dad every day.

In 2002, my dad came to the United States. I had to live with my uncle when I was in the 2nd grade. My uncle never used to pressure me to learn and the only thing that brought me this far was the good foundation my dad laid for me. I fought hard to keep up in the class first five hardworking students. In 2006, I was to graduate from primary to Junior Secondary School (JSS).

When I told my dad, he was very happy and he sent me gifts from here. It was one of the greatest days in my life. In the class that graduated that year, I had the greatest ambition. When I told everyone that I wanted to be the United Nations Secretary General in the future, they were amazed. I came to the United States in May 2008 and I am hoping to continue my education here successfully.

This advice goes to all parents: the greatest gift you can give to your child that will last forever is education. I believe in education.