I believe in the power of warmth

Rachael - Canfield, Ohio

I believe in the power of warmth. There is nothing worse than that feeling of sitting in an icy, desolate doctor’s office or shivering so much that I can’t even comprehend your own handwriting. I could never grasp the reasoning behind keeping rooms in buildings at arctic temperatures. As I’m sitting here writing this essay in my subzero high school classroom, all I can think about is how to warm up, rather than focus on the task at hand. I mean, you would figure that being trapped in one building for seven hours a day is miserable enough, so why not try to make it a pleasant atmosphere? The feeling of finding a big, warm, fuzzy sweatshirt during the school day is just like Christmas morning- everything you have been longing for, finally in your possession. After hours of not being able to feel your hands, the sensation of a warm, cotton/polyester blend grazing your goosebump-laden skin is like no other, especially knowing that you no longer have to worry about contracting hypothermia in this place. I’m telling you, a little warmth is lifechanging.

As the bright green leaves morph into vivid oranges and reds, we know that this beautiful yet deceiving phenomenon of nature is just a warning of the upcoming gloom that we entail. I’m sure I could vouch for anyone in saying that our weather is like a botomless pit of misery from October through Aprill. The stifling coldness that we endure daily, along with the melancholy mood that it carries, sends chills straight to our bones and puts us in a depressed state of mind. Strangely enough, even the mere thought of warmth can bring a smile to my face. Planning a cruise during the winter months seems to uplift the spirit in hopes that the weeks will fly by until I’m basking in rays of sunlight atop the upper deck of a Royal Caribbean luxury liner. And there’s nothing like the feeling of laying in a tanning bed, soaking up the artificial UV rays because we’re oh so desperate for that sensation of the sun, especially on a cloudy winter day.

I remember a particular time when my teeth were chattering in the cold, damp air at a boys soccer game in the middle of October. The excitement in the atmosphere was skyrocketing, but the temperature continued to plummet as the night progressed, and let me tell you- it was the epitome of wretchedness. Suddenly, I felt a small arm entwine itself in mine as my friend huddled close to my side. It was like we both knew exactly what each other was thinking: a little warmth could get us through this. We began to attract more of our shivery friends and eventually formed a huge pile blankets and coziness. It was pure bliss.

Whether it is wrapping up in a cozy sweater, sifting your toes through the sand as you walk underneath the sweltering sun, or just visiting a tanning salon for twenty short minutes, the feeling of warmth can transform your moodiness into a feeling of contentment and relaxation. I believe that this seemingly small idea can do wonders.