Never Give Up On Your Dreams

Kelsey - USA

I have many beliefs. But in this essay, I’m suppose to narrow it down to only one belief -which is difficult. So this is what I’ve decided: I believe that no one should give up on their dreams. Even if someone is constantly trying to persuade ones self that they do not have the ability to fulfill their dreams. For instances, I myself have a dream of becoming a professional drummer. However, there have been conflicts in my life that I have doubted myself. Dino was a friend of mine, and I’m not going to say he was a good friend of mine. Dino was the type of person who wanted to feel good about himself, even if it meant bullying other people around. I was one of those people. Before I even had a drum set, I dreamed of it. I dreamed of the beats the rhythm and how my arms would fly, and the sticks crashing into the cymbals and snare. Because I wanted to learn how to drum, I shared my dream with Dino. But when I told him, instead of being a real friend by encouraging me to get a drum set, he laughed at me and told me I did not have good coordination to become a drummer. Dino is not the only person that kept me from contemplating if I could become a professional drummer. Additionally there were a few males that I met that believed females are not good drummers. Drumming is tough. It requires fast reflexes, for rolls, strength in the legs, for double pedaling, and arms, wrists, to play for a long time while keeping steady beat. Because of science, I know that males are born with natural strengths and speed, where females are not. Because I have watched many males drum with speeds in their rolls, Neil Peart, it made me wonder if I would ever have that type of speed and strength to play a whole show. The last person that kept me –at times– from believing I will become a professional drummer is me. While practicing, there have been times when I became so frustrated, because I cannot get a beat or roll, where I would throw my sticks down and tell myself I will never be good.

Even though I told myself this, and was frustrated at times, I found myself picking those sticks up again and continuing to practice [Dino told me I had no coordination to drum, but I realized that I do have good coordination to drum. And the males who said girls will never be as good as males, well I think I’m better than those males now]. I am never going to give up, because I believe that people should follow their dreams even if conflicts occur.