Diana’s World

Diana - Niskayuna, New York

Different; it’s the one word that society and the people who inherit it, have in common. All around the world there are different cultures, people and beliefs. However, what’s widespread throughout all the cultures are language barriers. Due to these restricting barriers, what is one efficient way we can communicate to each other? The answer is simple, we all are capable of it and that is through art and music. If we do not break through the walls of ignorance, they will act as a common denominator against all mankind.

Art speaks in every language and not only expresses thoughts and ideas but also shows them as well. A piece of art consumes all kinds of emotions and has an infinite amount of answers where you can never be wrong. With art you can see it; where with music you can hear it. No education or prior training is required to understand the feelings and emotions you delivered. Due to the fact that “a picture paints a thousand words,” is what makes art so interesting. That it can sum up so much by saying so little. Art has the ability to lasso anyone through its questions, colors and techniques. Its alluring form sparks your imagination, intrigues and captivates.

Art has always been a common love throughout my whole family. Whether it’s a love of musical instruments or art work itself; the passion hasn’t flickered from generation to generation. I was born three months early, underdeveloped; the size of a hand and weighing, one pound fourteen ounces, the doctors announced me as premature. I became dependent on the tubes filled with fluids and the incubators. My incubator slowly filled with every stuffed animal known to man and other colorful pieces of art. My mother’s mode of communication to me was through song. As I would fight for my life there at Albany Medical, my mom would stay up long nights and sing to me. I liked to think it was through the passion she had through song that kept me going. Since then I always have had a love for music and art.

For the past couple of summers I have devoted weeks to intensive art studies in New York City. I would venture through different kinds of medium as well as interact with people from all over the world. Complete strangers turned into friends, who despite the distance still share a common interest. This gave us a better understanding of not only ourselves but the world we live in as well. That maybe we are not so different from each other after all.

The earliest civilizations, proves art to be the essence of communication. It’s where the verbal language came from. The spectrum of messages that can be perceived are endless. Art and music allow communication from the soul of the art and music to the soul of those who perceive it and hear it. Some civilizations bury their dead, with art and musical instruments as a way of communicating to another world; because art and music are widely understood.

The communication of feelings and emotion are inevitable. Art and music have marked up the history books. They represent different eras and times of change; the ability the two have to take you to another place of understanding and thought is an escape from reality. This is why I believe that art and music are the best forms of communication.