I Believe We Are What We Look For

Leslie - Calais, Maine

In my job, as a professional clinical mental health therapist, I spend my work hours in the pain, fear, rage, sorrow, confusion, alienation and dark nesses of those who come to me. They seek help to find their way back to peace, strength, safety, and recover their sense of personal direction. I spend most of my waking hours “looking out” for my clients while “hanging in there” with them as they learn to make decisions and choose differently how to be themselves.

From this, and the other 51 years of my life, after we secure elements for our survival, I believe we are most hurt by where and how we focus our attention.

Given that I do not work in a blood and guts trade, what I’ve noticed most harms people is perceived inability to change either their present circumstances or relationship to a problematic experience.

In the world in which I work however, change is as instantaneous as thought, holding on to pain is just an option, and finding solution is entertainment, raison d’ètre and divine intervention all at once.

It’s so much the human “reason for being”, that I do not understand how people lose sight of the fact we eat, breathe, sleep and pump blood to facilitate finding ways to enjoy what we are and what is all around us. We have been given the most amazing opportunity, life itself, to perfect coordination between our parts, sensorium, self, others and environment. As far as humans are concerned, the meaning of life is recognition of its gifts as given, and rejoicing in it, for these are the times we are most rewarded by our own biology and we feel raised to the celestial infinite.

So what are we doing when we create war, ugliness, filfth, disease and then focus upon the chaos and destruction we have made as if our life depended upon it? We are as dis-tracted as if painting with our poo – overly preoccupied with a product nothing like what else is, captivated that it is ours, though lifeless product and no more. We create endings, things unlike ourselves or our aspirations.

So much are we drawn to life, that every part of us craves, and is appeased by moving, air, light, water, the infinity of nature, the awesomeness of what continues beyond. I believe this is what our gestures of art and science, mechanism and politics make their wave offerings to, in hope of being closer to whatever it is that gave us this, can save us from stranding on this world island.

I believe that focus on solution and resolution, on highest consciousness and the exquisite, steers us to it and calls it to us. I believe conscious decision to keep “best practice”, “the ideal” and compassionate care constantly central to action and intent, “brings it”.

I believe this is why we can look up, spread our arms wide and sing. I believe this is what we are here for, and all the rest is so much distraction to keep us from being fully human.