Kinesscia - Jacksonville, Florida

We all have the power to change. This I believe. Martin Luther King Jr. believed in a dream, that change will come. My 44th, 1st Black President believed in change and look where that belief got him; the Oval office. I believe in a change of ones self. Do you think that people stay the same forever? I find that to be highly impossible. When you surround yourself around positive, inspirational, driven people who want the best for themselves and others, you have no choice but to get sucked into their good intentions for life.

I had to do a job fair for three months as my final exam as a senior, so I decided to go to Achievement Academy, a place my teacher advised me to go. The first day that I arrived at Achievement Academy, a school for disabled children, I was nervous for the fact that I didn’t want to stare rudely and have one of the kids get angry and put me to shame, but nether the less nothing like that happened. The kids were amazing. They were just like ordinary children with a unique trait, extra sprinkles as they would call it.

Through out the week I got to know each child at Achievement Academy; their story and on a friendship level. You couldn’t help but love each one. They all inspired and changed my life, including the staff. I always thought before that I was open minded and sure about what I wanted to do with my life, but until you meet those kids, words can’t explain. I started to say I love you more to my family, and made sure to give them all hugs before I let them out of my sight. I made my little sisters and school my main priority, and graduated with high honors. I had more confidence in myself than I’d ever had before; and most importantly I knew what I wanted to do with my life. That was to uplift, motivate, and help children. I still have all their painted little hand prints, and each have a permanent place in my heart. Achievement Academy; the name speaks for itself.