Google It

Maggie - Burr Ridge, Illinois

“Technology… is a queer thing. It brings you great gifts with one hand, and it stabs you in the back with the other.” In March of 1971 C.P. Snow was quoted in The New York Times warning people about the double-edged sword called technology. More than three decades later it has, without any doubt, progressed light-years farther than what he possible could have imagined. Yet, for some critics, the sentiment remains the same. I suppose cell phones could be slowly killing the human race with radiation, and maybe the calculators really are planning an uprising to take over society. But I believe with absolute certainty that there is one technological tool that looks out for all of us – Google. Google is friendly, helpful technology. I believe that Google is all powerful.

It wasn’t until I got to high school that I learned the verb “Google” (capital “G” of course). Suddenly, the easy way of finding pictures or answers had become officially sanctioned by some of my teachers. Within months I was hooked.

Libraries are scattered and hard to access, but Google is accessible on any computer that has Internet access, no matter how slow or decrepit, and available in over 70 languages (including Klingon. No, really.). Add to that the fact that in this era walking five feet in any direction without tripping over a computer of some sort is nearly impossible, and its little wonder that Google mimics the traits of an all-knowing, all-seeing, all-encompassing deity.

While writing this paper alone I used Google to find a quote, answer the eternal grammar question, “What’s the difference between its and it’s”, find a funny monkey picture to distract myself, and look up the history of, well, Google. Google’s answering ability ranges from the mundane and useless to the bizarre and obsessively specific. Whether it’s looking up the meaning of socialism (“A political theory advocating state ownership of industry”), what to wear to a wedding (“Don’t wear white because it competes with the bride”), or the closing value of the NASDAQ on November 3, 2006 (“2,330.79”), Google can do it.

Google has an answer for every possible question, a suggestion for every single occasion, a tutorial for every possible activity, a table for every single line of data, and an everything for every possible anything, all located in one central location. This makes it unlike any other product of science. This makes Google all powerful.