Jamilah - Lemon Grove, California

God. There are many people in this world who believe in this higher power identified as “God.” They suppose that he is the “creator” of this world and everything in it. As for me, I fail to see the reality in all of these theories and speculations. I believe in agnosticism.

All my life I have never been pushed into any certain religion or belief. Both of my parents are not extremely religious; so religion has never been an influential part of my life. My mother was brought up Mormon and my father was brought up Catholic and once they got married and had kids, my sister and I never got “stuck” with any certain religion.

Growing up, I’ve been asked the longstanding question, “What religion are you?” I’ve always simply responded with “I’m not anything” and have been bombarded with numerous questions. “How is that possible?” “How do you not have a religion?” “Do you go to church?” “Do you believe in God?” That last one always hit me… “Do you believe in God?” I never quite knew what to say and at the time I always merely stated, “yes,” because that’s all I really knew of. Thinking back on it, I was speaking for my parents and not for myself.

I am now almost eighteen years old and I have come to appreciate that I am agnostic. I believe that there is something or someone that has made this earth, but I don’t think that there is enough evidence to prove that this something was the “Big Bang” or that this someone was “God.” I don’t consider this is a sin, and I don’t think that I am “going to Hell” because of my beliefs. I am open to learn more about what other people believe, but until they can prove to me that their religion is right, I am content being agnostic.

It has been really complicated being an agnostic in my family, especially with my critical father. My sister is an atheist and with the both of us living under the same roof with a father who strongly believes in God is extremely difficult at times. We are constantly being harassed with my father’s ignorant questions of why we chose to believe this way and shoving the reasons of why God exists down our throats, as if we are supposed to believe exactly what he does.

I believe that everyone has their own right to religion and their own say in their own beliefs. I suppose that one day this misconception of God will be proven to me. I don’t know when that will be but for now, I believe in agnosticism.