Friends in the most unexpected ways

Jessica - San Antonio, Texas

Friend! The truth is I never use to know what the word friend meant. I use to think it was the people I played with at school, and for a while I thought friends were people who wanted to “share” homework with me. But now I know that a friend is someone who will stand by my side during the good times and bad times, and someone I can do nothing with but still have a blast.

In middle school I had tons of friends but I never felt close to them. At the time my only best friends were Steven and Julia. They always warned me that my “friends” were not friends at all but I was too stubborn to listen. They were right because in the blink of an eye all my “friends” rejected me.

In kindergarten I fought with Amanda almost day. I still remember the day I bit her cheek and she scratched my face. After that we never talked much but we made it known how much we hated each other. She became what everyone called my arch enemy. But all that would change.

In 6th grade Amanda and I were on the same basketball team. We both hated it but stuck it out because we loved basketball too much to quit for a stupid reason. Eventually we started to talk at practice but we never said much to each other off the court.

That same year I lost all of my “friends”. I was constantly being picked on and nobody wanted to talk to me anymore. At recess I was the kid that sat alone while everyone else hop scotched and jumped roped. Randomly Amanda came up to me and asked if I wanted to play a game of basketball with her. I was shocked but then I said yes because anything was better than being a loner. On that day I found out what I friend was really like. She talked to me when no one else did. From that day on we’ve had each others backs!

It’s been five years and Amanda and I are still best friends. She is like my right hand and sometimes I think she knows me better then I know myself. Despite attending different high schools we are still close like PB and J. The only thing that has changed is that now when we meet on the basketball court we’re opponents.

I believe in finding friends in the most unexpected ways. Someone who was once my enemy is now my best friend. Ironically some of those people I use to call my friends are now my arch enemies. I guess I have a nack for turning hate ships into friendships. Because even in high school some people that didn’t like me or that I didn’t like are now some of the greatest friends I have.” Keep your friends close, and your enemies closer.” Well I believe in irony because my close enemies are now my friends.