The Key to Success

Shajamia - Jacksonville, Florida

I believe in getting an education. It is the only key to success. While growing up, my mother always stressed the importance of going to school and making good grades. I never really understood why until I got a job. While working at the Zoo, I learned the value of money. I worked as a cashier in the restaurant for a year. My co-workers were mainly black, but the customers were many different races. Some customers were very polite and nice. They would also tip me at times. On the other hand, some customers were rude and would throw their money on the counter and try to avoid touching my hand as much as possible. I didn’t know if they were racist or if they simply thought I was dirty. Many people treat you as if you are dumb if you work in a fast food restaurant. Many days I wondered if I would go to work or just stop showing up. Immediately I knew that the Zoo wasn’t the career I wanted to continue my life in. Instead, I figured that I might as well get and education to do something that I would actually like, and get treated and paid way better!

Education is one of the world’s greatest treasures. I’m happy that America is wealthy enough to afford education. Learning can be a wonderful adventure. I look at school as an opportunity, not a choice. Many people take their education for granted. Later on, life comes to bite them in the butt. I’m glad I started my education at a young age.

When I get old I will be able to retire early. Nobody should have to work at eighty years old.

Education should be valued. You can only gain more knowledge from it. Once I started college I realized how much I didn’t know. I never really took math seriously in high school. It never made sense to me; it was like another language. Therefore, I was like a beginner when I started college. I never knew math could be broken down so easily and understood. I actually enjoyed learning math for the first time in my life. Getting an education only opens the door for improvement and success. A person with some college will be considered for a job before someone with none!

I believe you don’t have to be born smart. It comes easy to some, but people like me may have to work a little harder. I am seeking a degree in Radiation Therapy because my mother had breast cancer. I know the road won’t be easy, but I know it can be done. I want to make a difference in somebody’s life like someone did for my mother.

Everyone is responsible for his or her own path in life. Some may already have completed their education; me, I just started. For some, it will never begin. Education determines who you will be in the long run; that’s why I believe in it so deeply.