Idiot Drivers

Justin - Willowbrook, Illinois

“Oh my gosh, I didn’t even see you there,” one of the most frequent responses after an accident occurs, following a bizarre vehicle collision. Before I started driving I never really noticed the mistakes that drivers made on the road and never really knew how annoying they were. I always saw my parents give some random driver the finger, while yelling, after they had been cut off, but I really didn’t understand, I thought they were over reacting, but I was wrong.

That whole perspective of my parents over reacting changed June 09, 2007 the day I got my license. I had been driving for roughly four months when I had my first encounter with an “idiot driver.” I was in the drive through line at McDonalds, in Westmont, Illinois. I was behind a red Escalade. The driver of the car had no idea about what was going on around him. He began to pull up, and out of no where put his car in reverse. He hit the front of my car, smashing in my hood. When I got out of my car to look at the damage, the man told me that he forgot to order something. I am sitting there now just thinking how careless can you be, you forgot to order something so you put your car in reverse without looking behind you to see if there are any other cars in the drive-thru and hit me! What an “idiot driver.”

Another thing that really ticks me off is when drivers do not use the turning signal and change lanes constantly. People will be driving and changing lanes trying to get around other cars, really going no where by doing this, and just angering the other drivers by cutting them off. First of all, the turning signal is literally an inch or two away from your steering wheel, how hard can it be to use it?

People constantly make me mad while I am driving, but it has actually taught me something. I believe that we can learn from inconsiderate people and better ourselves. There really aren’t very many things that take much thought and consideration while driving a car, but some people just disregard them completely. Each time someone does some kind of a thoughtless maneuver, I just want to stop them and ask them, why and how, but I hold back because their actions just show me what I should not do to others. Things that occur in life should be a learning experience, showing you what to do and not do to others. Watching people drive like idiots has given me some entertainment at times, though I wonder just how thoughtless someone can really get.