This I believe

Rochelle - Jacksonville, Florida

Each person has their own beliefs and reasons why they believe in what they do. My major belief is “The Golden Rule,” or respect. I deeply believe in this because it makes me a more professional person as well as the bigger person when I feel like I am the only one putting out effort to be respectful. Also, it is the best way to feel good about myself and for others to feel good as well. Showing respect can help keep the animosity between people down and it helps the day go by more smoothly. It does not take much to be respectful to others like some people make it out to be; a simple “hello” makes all the difference.

Another reason why I believe in respect so much is because it has such a great impact on people’s lives, whether I just smile at them, give them a compliment, or I am a helping hand. The more I show respect, the more I will receive. No, I might not get it in return right away but I will eventually run into someone who will be just as respectful to me as I was to him. I think having respect is a whole lot easier than not having any at all, even though it is something that takes time and will gradually fall into play.

I had an experience where I was so polite to somebody; I smiled and tried to carry a conversation, and the woman just blew me off, giving me a dirty look and treated me as if I was weird. It is really interesting to see the different reactions of people and how they treat me when I show a little respect. Some people and the way they portray themselves is very pleasant and others just make me wonder how people can be so rude but,

I ignore the negativity and keep showing respect, despite the rude reactions I may receive. But, overall, I believe “The Golden Rule” is a great idea to live life by; you should always treat others the way you would want to be treated.