America the Land of Opportunity

Alejandro - Clarendon Hills, Illinois

“My country owes me nothing. It gave me, as it gives every boy and girl, a chance. It gave me schooling, independence of action, opportunity for service and honor. In no other land could a boy from a country village, without inheritance or influential friends, look forward with unbounded hope.” -Herbert Hoover In this quote the 31st president of the United States, Herbert Hoover, talks about how in no other country in the world can you start from nothing and become something great. I believe that America really is the land of opportunity; if you love something and work hard you can achieve anything. America is the only place where race, religion, or family connections does not matter.

. In 1895 a boy by the name of William Harrison Dempsey was born. William’s family was very poor and had to constantly move around to find work. Times were difficult and William had to drop out of grade school to help his family. At sixteen he left his family to escape poverty. While working he was also a part-time professional boxer. As the fights went by his record grew. Once he became popular he was able to challenge for the heavyweight championship of the world. Dempsey trained like an animal for the fight, he would run six miles a day and spar and train from the early morning to the late afternoon. After all the hard work the fight eventually arrived and Dempsey knocked out his opponent in three rounds. William Dempsey became known as Jack Dempsey and from starting out from nothing he became the heavyweight champ of the world and held that title for over ten years.

Another example of America being the land of opportunity, which is a little less glamorous, is the story of my family. Both of my parents are immigrants from Venezuela. Neither of my parents families had any money, so my parents paid for their own wedding. They managed to do well in school and got a scholarship to go to the University of Florida. Almost immediately after I was born, my parents and me moved to New York. In New York we lived in an apartment the size of a closet. Both of my parents worked even with a year old kid, their combined salaries were just a few hundred dollars over when we would receive welfare. As time has gone by my parents have been willing to move and change their occupations. My parents have grabbed and made full use of every opportunity that has come their way. We’ve moved from New York to Miami to Chicago. Now I find myself living in a two-story house, in a great community, going to one of the best schools in the country. My parents have traveled a long way from Venezuela and are now living the American dream.

America is the land of opportunity. It is the only place in the world where you create your own foundation and work your way up. In America it does not matter what your race or religion is or if you are related to someone important, you can still make it. I believe that if you love something and work hard at it you can be whatever you want. You decide your own future.