Drugs Theives and Friends

Theodore - Hinsdale, Illinois

“So long as we live among men, let us cherish humanity.” Andre Gide said this when referring to the good of mankind. He believed that as long as men were living, we should cherish what each and every person has. No matter how dull or bad one may seem, everyone deserves a friend. Peers can try and steer you away from a person because of an uncomfortable interaction that they had with that person, but why do we listen to them? When you take a step back and look at what happens, it’s childish and immature. It amazes me how many people don’t give others a second look because of one event. Yet, I must confess, I used to be one of these people not too long ago.

I started realizing a change in my personality after a year spent at military school my freshman year of high school. My parents sent me there for a several reasons, the main being my inability to stay focused. I never got a long with teachers, and received the most detentions any child had ever gotten in my family, in just the first semester of 6th grade. I am not proud of this part of my life, but something good did come from it. During my stay at Riverside Military Academy, I met a wide variety of kids. Some were sent there by the courts or their parent, others who wanted to be there: druggies, thieves, all kinds. My first few weeks I was scared. I didn’t know anyone and felt alone. But I soon discovered what kind of person it took to be a successful one at this school. I saw a lot of kids come and go because they didn’t know how to survive there. A lot of guys would put on the “tough guy” act, but they realized that that it was not intimidating, to me at least. I was not one of these kids. I was shy and trying to get by. The first friend I made was a boy who lived down the hall from me. He helped me learn how to make friends with everyone, because when your friends with everyone, there’s less likely of a chance for conflict. I had a couple of run-ins with a few kids, but each time, I would always have a friend near to scare off the troublesome cadet. It came to my attention, that in order to get by in this tough world, it helps if your friends with everyone. That’s why I believe in having good relations with as many people as possible. Nothing bad can come from it and it makes your life easier when you know that if you have a problem, you will most likely have a friend close by to help you through it.