Live, Laugh, Love

Radhika - Oak Brook, Illinois

“Humor is the great thing, the saving thing. The minute it crops up, all our irritation and resentments slip away, and a sunny spirit takes their place”, by Mark Twain. I believe that a sense of humor is essential in life. It helps me cope with the challenges and stresses that I go through every day of life. A sense of humor facilitates me to get over anger, depression, and tension.

Humor has also improved my communication with my parents and that is an achievement. It started by accident when I was in middle school. I wanted to go to a friend’s birthday party and I asked my parents’ permission to attend. I brought it up an hour before the party, when they had other plans for me. My dad’s face turned crimson as he was angry. All I could do to distract him was nervously ask again in my best friend Elsie’s Nigerian accent. This mimicry apparently was dead on for my friend. My dad burst out laughing to my amazement and requested of me to do more lines imitating Elsie. I did a few and my mom followed suit. Pretty soon all of us were laughing. My dad thereafter learned that Elsie was going to be at the same birthday party, and so I was allowed to go. He suggested that I needed to observe my friend and add more lines to my repertoire.

Living in humor has now become a staple of my life. Another example of humor that helped our family cope with tragedy and sadness was when my aunt passed away. My brother recalled a story after the funeral, how she always requested the disc jockey to play Sir-Mix-a-Lot’s “Baby Got Back” so she can dance quirkily to the music at every wedding or party. Telling that story brought back so many memories that everyone started cracking up remembering the good times. She was the funniest and most energized person I have ever met and her spirit is what we all missed the most. Humor definitely relieved the tension in the room full of guests. Instead of everyone mourning and being somber, each person had a smile on their face knowing this woman knew how to have fun. That taught not only me, but our entire family that we can laugh and appreciate humor to be a coping mechanism even in the face of death and tragedy.

Lastly, I realize humor can relieve a lot of stress. During finals week I am always so uptight and crabby because of so much work unfinished and all the studying. After hours of cramming, I feel drained. To help me get back on track, I take a quick half hour break to watch a comedy show. My favorite shows to watch are Late Night with Conan O’Brien and Saturday Night Live. I love Conan’s goofy expressions and I absolutely burst out laughing when I watch Andy Samberg’s skits on SNL. It calms me down so I don’t need to be paranoid about school. After I am done watching I am in a better mood to study again. Watching a little bit of comedy helps me do better on my finals because I don’t overwork myself and I am relaxed with a clear mind. It is the little laughs that can make a huge difference to make life easier. Humor and laughter assist in coping with the monotony and drudgery of one’s existence.

I do believe in a sense of humor and laughter to bring stability in my life and get through it successfully. If more politicians and world leaders valued humor, they may enhance world peace. Without a sense of humor, our world would be so dead and boring. Humor brings out the best in life and makes it joyous when people are angry, depressed, or stressed. I for one have experienced those emotions and overcome them with laughter and amusement. I especially have a habit of making fun of myself because it makes me feel better and not take life too seriously. I believe in living life to it’s fullest with a sense of humor. As they say, “Laughter is the best medicine.”