“Are You Still Playing the Guitar?”

Glen - Jacksonville, Florida

I’ve been a novice guitar player, song writer, and overall music nut for more than twenty years. As I look back I realize that most of my best friendships were built with a common love of making music. I’ve met all sorts of interesting people just by knowing a few chords. Without the guitar and the power of music I would have been too shy to initiate many of my past relationships. There is no better ice breaker than a groovy tune. I believe that music has guided my life in many ways from remembering great times to soothing the not so great memories. I couldn’t imagine life without a constant soundtrack.

When I was in my early twenties I hung out with four friends constantly and just as often we were making music. We wrote songs and preformed them at parties, on the beach, and everywhere in between. We all became the best of friends and three of us decided to move into an apartment together. Over time the purity of our friendship began to fade under the pressures of responsibility. I was constantly working and my roommates were constantly looking for work so I ended up kicking them out. I still regard this as one of the toughest decisions of my life and our friendship was never the same.

It’s now fourteen years later and we’ve all gone our separate ways. I think of those times often, not with regret, but with the joy of our music and the good times making it. I recently decided to track down my four old friends, wondering if their feelings about the past paralleled mine. I eventually found all of them and they all seem to be doing well. The remarkable thing is that no one has mentioned the sour end of our friendship. They all asked the same initial question. “Are you still playing the guitar?” This question sparked possibly a life time of talking all things music with my four best friends. I can’t wait to hear the next song we come up with.

Now that the reunion is over, I realize how empty my life would be without music. I feel privileged to have some skill on an instrument and the occasional opportunity to share my music with others. I feel that music should be valued far more than oil, money, or power because it’s one of our few common threads as humans. Everyone is affected by music in some way. As for me , I would be lost without the sound of a song guiding me through life.

This I believe…