Miayona - Jax, Fl 32211, Florida
Themes: love

I believe in the power of Love. It is said that Love is a powerful four letter word, but so is Hate. I have learned a lot from these two words, both from movies such as the hit Gran Torino and life experiences such as going to a mixed raced school or coming home to a mixed raced neighborhood. I believe Love can conquer all, even the world of Hate. I also believe we the people have a choice to decipher which of these two words we will stand on.

Everyday I experience Love. When I go home to loving family, I am greeted with a hello or a hug. My mother always taught me to love others no matter who they are, where they came from, or the color of their skin. In middle school, where it was mostly blacks, I befriended a girl of the Caucasian race. We were best friends. We did everything together, whether it was sharing our lunch, walking home together from school, or just sitting together on the bus. We were inseparable. Many people did not understand the concept of black and white. We would get stares and they would wonder why I didn’t hang with the all black group and she wouldn’t hang with the all white group. But the love and respect we had for each other would not allow us to see color.

Recently, I saw a movie that dealt with Love and Hate. The movie Gran Torino, tells the story of a man (Clint Eastwood), who despised the Asian race because of his past experiences in the Vietnam War. Throughout the movie, he paints a picture of all Asians as being poor, thuggish, and unethical. He then meets two Asian siblings, whom he over a period of time begins to fall in love with. Eventually, he learns to put his pride aside and becomes more open to those who were different from him. He shared food, laughter, encouraging words and even Love. He began to see that true characteristics are not defined by a group of people, but by the individual himself.

We should learn to love one another more and more, day by day, including our worst enemies. We should be able to have true affection for each other; after all, that is the true meaning of Love. And no matter the circumstances, we should uphold this word called Love, and learn, love and live it to the fullest.

Living in this world, we should not let one negative experience with an individual define the fate or the outcome of a race of people. We have to be able to love and see one another as equal. Before you know it, we all will get the chance to share and instill these two words: Love and Hate into the next generation, but it is up to you as an individual to share the right one.