Everybody Should Like Everybody

Blair - USA
Themes: golden rule

“I think everybody should like everybody.” These are the words on a famous piece of artwork by Andy Warhol. Now, if everyone could abide by this we would live in a much happier world. Being a generally laid-back type of person, I am proud to say I have close to zero enemies; well at least that I know of. This is why I believe it is possible for everyone to simply just “like” everyone else.

I first had this epiphany when my parents decided to send me away to an all girls summer camp, in the middle of nowhere, for four weeks. My parents decided it was time for me to step outside the box. I was thirteen and had the same four best friends my entire life. After the first week, I learned that I was going to be cabin mates with a vegan, a wrist slitter, an overly hyper brat, a slob, and a somewhat sane counselor. I didn’t think things could get much worse until the day “the slob”, of course, was diagnosed with head lice. This meant that everyone in my cabin had to pay the consequences for her poor hygiene. We were locked in our cabin for three days. At first it was hell, but after a couple of nights of talking I realized that the girls weren’t all that bad. I found out the vegan lived in the same county as me, the wrist slitter turned out to be the funniest person I‘ve ever met, the slob was a great listener, and the hyper brat could actually carry a conversation. I learned from this experience that if you give someone a chance you can find out you share some of the same qualities or even just get along with someone.

Another situation I dealt with happened last year. One of my best friends betrayed me. She was talking to my kind of, sort of boyfriend behind my back. I found out that they had been texting, talking on the phone, and even hanging out together. I was so mad at her. She was the last person I would expect to do that to me. Of course I was upset with her for a couple weeks, but her apology seemed so sincere that I knew it was time to forgive her. A lot of my friends told me I was a push over for giving in, but I wasn’t going to lose a friend over some guy.

People in your life, important or not, will at one point or another get under your skin. They will at point or another do something he/she wasn’t supposed to. But people make mistakes. You have to give everyone a chance to simply just be liked.