Alissa - Jacksonville, Florida
Themes: purpose, setbacks

I believe in Destiny. Everything in life happens for a reason. Sometimes you do not know why it happens, but someday you find out the answer. There are a lot of things in my life that I considered awful at the time, but in hindsight I can see there was a reason behind each struggle, although it took me a while to see the reasons. In hindsight I understand the reasons why God took the life of my father and why my boyfriend and I broke up, only to later become my fiancé.

One day my father was not feeling very well and did not go to work. He never stayed home even if he did not feel well, so we knew that something was wrong. One day he had to go to the hospital because he was losing so much weight in a short period of time. When he went to the hospital the doctors could not determine what was wrong, but they found fluid in his stomach. They decided to pump it out. They tested some of the fluids and they found out that it was cancerous. That night we were eating dinner and Dad told my brother and I that he had cancer. He had a hard time telling us because it was a life threatening disease and he did not want to leave his family behind. I would always ask “why is this happening to me and my family?” Then the doctors started him on chemo. My dad was slowly slipping away. I could not understand why this was happening, until he passed away. Then I realized the answer to the question. God wanted me to walk with him, he wanted our family to be closer, and he also wanted us to realize that life is short.

Another painful memory is of a time when my boyfriend and I were in constant conflict. We decided what would be best was for us to take a “break.” We began talking to other people, but soon after realized that we were miserable without each other. We then began to take things slowly and we healed, becoming stronger and more passionate about each other. Two years later we are planning for our wedding in May. Destiny caused our relationship to become stronger, and prepare us for marriage.

The events in my life have caused me to believe in destiny. I might have not believed there was an answer, but the time passed and I found the answer. God has an answer to everything; you just have to wait and see what the answer is.