Dream Along

Brittany - Hinsdale, Illinois

Dream Along

I believe in the lost art of dreaming. Not just dreaming while you sleep, but in all senses of the word. With the way life can be, it seems easy to forget to at times, if not all of the time. In every respect I believe life is dreaming, and dreaming is life. In the innovative and truthful movie Waking Life, one certain carefree character starts out the movie by saying, “They say that dreams are only real as long as they last. Couldn’t you say the same thing about life?” As long as I live, I plan to dream.

My mother has always been a strong believer herself in imagination and dreams. She instilled the idea that I should never lose sight of dreaming and imagination, even past my childhood. And I believe that the essence of life is that childlike feeling. Dreaming allows me to keep that sense of wonder, yet at the same time, I am able to grow older and wiser with the years that come.

When sleeping I cannot control my dreams. In order to I would have to become a master at lucid dreaming. Some have figured that out, while for others like myself, it’s something I‘ve tried and have yet to fully accomplish. But that doesn’t stop me from dreaming that I can. In recent years I have had dreams that cannot be explained or figured out. They don’t make complete sense, yet they all intertwine with one constant theme; my deepest fears. But the weirdest part about these dreams is that when I wake up I feel as if I actually lived those moments. It puts me in a funk after a night of discombobulated scenes and conversations. I feel just as scrambled and confused when awake, as I do when I am having a dream. When it comes to reality though, I feel in almost, if not, complete control. I am the driver of my destiny. Thus, I have the power to go where I want. I get to choose the journey and destination.

With all of these strange dreams, it’s made me think about dreaming in a different way. Some have meaning, some are meaningless. That’s why I have become extremely fascinated with lucidity. To put it simply, lucidity is the ability to know you are in fact dreaming, and control each action or thought entirely. It’s in a sense subconsciously conscious as I like to think of it. So why do few do what they can do lucidly in real life?

This makes me believe in the power and meaning of dreams all the more so. I realize now that life is limit-less, I am not bound to the restrictions set upon me by my parents, friends, strangers, opposers, or society. As a child I felt the world was infinite, and as a pre-teen I felt the world was my enemy and everyone was out to get me. Now that I am 18, I am back to feeling that the world is infinite. That anything is possible. The result of incorporating dreaming while asleep, into reality is perfectly put yet again in the movie Waking Life, when that same carefree character I have come to admire says, “The trick is to combine your waking rational abilities with the infinite possibilities of your dreams. Because, if you can do that, you can do anything.” I believe in life, if we dream, we are truly free.