The World Stops For Nothing

Elizabeth - Hinsdale, Illinois

It is often said that “Life moves on.” There are billions of people in the world, but no two people are alike. Everyone goes through hard times, but with help can defeat the obstacle and move on. I believe that the world does not stop for you when you experience a roadblock in life. You personally may be having a bad day or may be dealing with an unexpected event, but the world is still whizzing past you. No red carpet has been rolled out for you to walk on, the rain continues to fall, and people are not bending over backwards to make you comfortable.

This year I hit a bump in the road of my own. All summer and fall I had been working hard towards my goal to swim at state. Waking up at 5:15 a.m. four mornings a week for 8 weeks, was not something I did for fun. However, the day before Halloween my dream began to crumble unknowingly. I stayed home from school that day because I was not feeling well and wanted the chance to rest for an important meet the next day. Five days later, my condition worsened greatly. The little cold bug I thought was the problem, was no longer little, but rather had morphed into a monster. An unforgettable phone call that day confirmed that I had in fact been diagnosed with mono.

There would be no swimming at state this year. I cried buckets of tears and would not let go of the fact that I was done swimming. Ice cream, candy, cards, and condolences came pouring in the first day or two, but after that, I was on my own. My spot on the state line-up was filled right away and practice went on like always. The influx of gifts and cards slowed down greatly and visitors were also scarce. Sitting on the couch alone, I no longer heard the laughter of friends. Instead, I heard the sound of the millionth episode of “Law & Order”. I felt as if nobody cared and that I did not even exist. I realized that everyone was not going to drop everything to pay attention to me. They have their own lives to worry about.

Even with everyday things I know this belief is true. One day in math class, the teacher handed back a test. From the look on my face, even an outsider would know it was not a good test for me. I knew the teacher was not going to stop the class and show sympathy for me. I was the one who had to be responsible to fix my problem. Others may argue that the world does stop for people facing hardship because family and friends give support and sympathy immediately. As a whole though, life does continue. Teachers still teach, pilots still fly, and writers still write. At times life may be rocky, but for the rest of the world it is smooth sailing.