Accept those for who they are

Brandon - Milford, Michigan

Is there someone you’re related to, or someone you know, who has a disability? Whatever the answer, I’m in that situation and know the hardships of having a brother with Down syndrome.

When I was 2 years old, I remember my mom being in the hospital for a couple of days. When she came back, 3 days later, my brother was with her, Kyle…My own little brother.

My parents said he had Down Syndrome. I didn’t know what that was at the time, nor did I care. To me he was perfect. My parents gave hints that something was wrong though. I could tell that there was uneasiness to their voices when talking about Kyle.

One time, they told me what Down Syndrome meant, and sadly, I didn’t want my brother to be that way. I wanted him to be normal. But what is normal besides a false statement? No one is normal, but many people want to be, and that’s sad. If people were normal, no individuality would be born, and I wouldn’t have the wonderful brother that I have today.

In my opinion, people with disabilities are better in more important ways than being athletic or smart. For one they never commit crimes, and they would never do anything to hurt anyone. I love having Kyle as a brother because he is the way he is… a child with Down Syndrome, overflowing with innocence and love for his family!

If you’re someone who thinks that “NORMAL” is the best, then stop and think. Don’t criticize others. Allow them to be who they are, because how do you know that people aren’t criticizing you? Accept people for who they are!