Blazing Happiness

Loretta - Cullowhee, North Carolina
Themes: setbacks

Imagine waking up to the sound of ringing alarms and smelling smoke. Imagine running out of the house, stopping and feeling the intense heat on your back and turning around to see your house in flames. I, fortunately, did not have to face this sight, my parents did. I did have to face the reprecussions of it. Everyone may not go through this but everyone goes throught times of turmoil and tough times. It is never a good thing at first and people think it will ruin their lives and it will never be the same. I am here to say that I believe, despite this catastrophe, good things come out of bad situations. Its like Garrett Hardin says, “You can never merely do one thing.” To put that in English, when one action happens, it affects everything.

I was only 11 years old when this disaster happened to me and it changed my life forever. I was at church camp and at the end of the week, I was told that my house that I had lived in for 10 years had caught fire and burned. All the memories, life lessons, pets and my home were gone in a time span of two hours. 10 years of life lived in a house that I called home had disappeared in flames and ashes. Talk about ruining your life and never being the same. I did not have a home, any clothes, my pets were gone and I had nothing left. I simply had the clothes on my back and what was packed from the week before. I remember going into the house and seeing tarred furniture, black walls and smelling smoky everything. It was probably the worst time of my life up to the point. I had lost seemingly everything I owned and had to start over again.

That is where I found the good that came out of a bad situation. Not only did I get to live in an apartment with a pool, which was a childhood dream of mine, I got new clothes, a brand new home with new furniture and a new heating system all paid for. All of that would have cost my family a fortune. Along with a new home, I got to make new memories and start a new life. Did I ever think this would come out of a house Fire? No, I thought my life was over. But my life is great now and it would have never been this way had I still been living on Sunset Ave. I now live on Barrymore Ave in a new home that I can make new memories in and leave the ones in the tarred house behind.