I Believe In The Small Things In Life

Michelle - Canfield, Ohio

I Believe

I believe in the small things in life. I believe one single event could make or break a person’s day. A simple wave, a little compliment or even a smile could set the standards for my day. Small friendly gestures are the positive things in my life that make it easier. On the other hand, a rude cashier, an angry driver or a person being ignorant to my existence could ruin my day. Maybe it’s just me, but it’s the small things that are most important. With a lack of kind gestures or words, I feel that there is nothing to trigger emotions. Throughout the day the next-to-nothing compliments received are what makes me happy and keeps me going.

In the morning when rushing out the door to reach school on time, I feel frazzled and overwhelmed. Upon reaching for my books I find a little note with my name on it. It’s a note from my mom saying to have a good day and to keep my head up. This instantly puts a smile on my face and sets up my day to be good. While running to prime time, a perfect stranger holds the door open for me, smiles and says, “hi.” suddenly feel joyful and worthwhile. After receiving a lousy grade on a test, I mope down the hall until a familiar voice shouts, “you look nice today.” In an instant I forget about the grade and become ecstatic. Finally as the day reaches an end I maneuver through the chaotic parking lot. Unlike many others, a kind soul stops and let me out. This reassures me that there are good people in the world and by performing simple acts of kindness you can affect others lives.

Just as the small events can be helpful, negative reactions also begin a chain reaction. Any negative event can trigger a negative emotion. It’s a new day, however; as I rush out the door I drop my books in the snow, spill my coffee and freeze because I had no time to grab a jacket. Upon reaching school I turn into my spot when I get cut off. This immediately triggers me to get upset and I mumble inappropriate words and phrases on my long walk down the parking lot. I’m carrying many books, yet the guy in front of me does not hold the door open and it hits me in the face. Once again I’m trudging down the hallway being negative and cruel. After receiving a grade that I was unhappy with, I am “comforted” by the girl next to me that shouts, “ Wow, that grade sucks. I got on A.” All the little things that occur throughout your day are usually unstoppable. These things are part of your day and part of your life. When negative people bring me down, it’s usually only moments until a positive person lightens my mood.

The small things can potentially ruin a day or make it the best day ever. However, as a whole the small things can not dramatically change one’s life. I believe you are wrong to be the person sending negative messages and signals to others. I believe that to be a better person you must contribute a “small thing’ to someone else’s life. I believe that it’s okay to go out of your way to do something nice for others. I believe to have a good day you must always look towards the small things, the things that make you happy.