Everything in life has a reason.

Lauren - westwood, New Jersey

“Everything happens for a reason”, is a motto that many people live by to get them through confusing and difficult times and to give them hope for tomorrow. After my mom was diagnosed with breast cancer, I didn’t. I understand why something so horrible happen to her? Why does she have to suffer? But as I am getting older, I am beginning to see why it happened to her. Having cancer has changed my mom’s life too in more ways than we can count.

I probably would have never been involved in Relay for Life, if it wasn’t for my mom, but now I am proud to be part of something so much bigger than I am, something that is for such a good cause. Something that takes so much time and effort, but in the end everyone would do it hundred more times to see the outcome and to realize the difference we have all made together, what we are celebrating and who we are remembering.

I never thought that my mom would get cancer, but she did, she fought through it, and I witnessed the whole journey. I will never say that it was easy because there are times where I still want to cry, even five years since she beat the disease. There are times when I look at my mom and I wonder how she always stayed so strong for my siblings and me. She never wanted us to worry about her or to feel her pain, but I felt sad and there were nights when my sister and I sat in bed and cried, but we never wanted to see our mother like that.

As I look back on all the struggles I realize that I don’t think I would take back my mom going through breast cancer. I have learned the strength of one person.

I would love for my mom to be completely healthy now and not have to go to so many doctors and take so many medications, but I saw her conquer it. I am the daughter of a real life superwoman, and I will be forever grateful that my mom showed such determination and perseverance and to get up from that bed when others would have wanted to turn away from the world. My mom faced the world with her colored bandanas, smiling face, and the will to never give up, no matter what news came from the doctors or the awful side effects she felt from the treatments. I hope that whatever I face in my life, I can face it with half the heart, strength, and determination that my mom showed while fighting cancer. I have found out that life definitely throws people some curve balls, but everyone has to learn from them, and they may hurt and be unexpected, and they even change your life, but to never run away from them because in the end they will show how strong of an individual everyone is.

I believe “Everything happens for a reason.” Nothing happens just by good luck. All hardships in life are tests of ones limit of their own souls.