Kids Have the Life

Christopher - Washington Township, New Jersey
Themes: carpe diem

I believe that childhood is the best years of your life. Cherish every minute of it and never wish it away.

As I walk through the hallways of my school I hear so many students talking about how they can not wait to get out of here and graduate. While graduating is exciting, it can also be scary. I am not ready yet to be an adult, sometimes I wish I was still that small little kid that didn’t know better.

I grew up on, in my opinion, the greatest block ever. My favorite friends from that block though were easily Chris and Scott. They lived across the street from me and they were brothers. Chris was four years older than me, Scott three. They showed me the ropes through childhood and instilled me with memories I’ll never forgot. The times we had together were unimaginable. Even as I met new friends through school I would bring them to my block and introduce them to all my friends. We would play everything like skateboarding, street hockey, or my personal favorite cops and robbers. We even built wooden forts in Chris and Scott’s backyard, one on stilts. When they renovated their kitchen we made a go cart out of a kitchen cabinet and rode in it down the nearest hill. I could go on forever with these amazing times we had.

Now 17 years old and a junior in high school the world famous block has disbanded. About 5 years ago my family and I moved two blocks away. Chris is in his senior year of college and Scott, his junior year. The other kids of the block are either in college, out of college or in their final years of high school. Now as I go up and down Hickory Street it looks like a ghost town. Not a single kid on the street. While being a teenager is exciting sometimes I wish I could just go back for a day to experience those great times again. It just makes me wonder how anyone can just wish away their childhood. I am progressively learning what it is like to live the life of an adult. I have a job, working at a local supermarket. I have to save my money to pay for car insurance. I am in search of a car for myself. Even looking into colleges and potential future careers. All this never mattered when I was just a kid.

Not saying that being an adult can’t be fun. There is a lot to look forward to later life, getting married or having kids. Though I just don’t see how any of that could possible compare to childhood. Nothing mattered then; you could imagine any situation you want. You didn’t have to pay for anything, your parents just bought it for you. Kids have the life, and the sad part is you don’t realize it until it is gone.