Finance and College Issues

Christopher - Twp. Of Washington, New Jersey
Themes: change

I believe that going away to live at college should be taken advantage of, no matter what your finances may be. As a freshman in high school, my lack of motivation and remorse lowered my chances of getting into any colleges. Having many older friends drew my attention away from school and my priority was aimed towards partying. Money was not the main issue with college, but it was whether I was going to be accepted or not.

After many of my friends had left for college, loneliness and boredom was an issue that had risen. With a lot of time to think to myself, I imagined my life after high school. Having an alcoholic brother taught me many lessons many of which included getting my mind set straight and focused on school. My parents threw money away to quickly help him with his addiction; meanwhile my college money was disappearing.

During my junior and senior years of high school, improvement was apparent in all of my work, inside and out of school. My work ethic became stronger as my grades improved. At the same time, America was at the beginning of its economic downfall and stock market decay none were filled out of which stopped me from filling out applications. My college applications were completed to the best of my ability and sent in early. Midway through my senior year, my GPA had risen minimally, but hope was still there. Soon after, one by one, colleges slowly accepted me for my drastic improvement.

After two weeks, I had been accepted to more than 5 different colleges, many of which were out of state school. During the economic decay, prices of colleges had increased drastically. Because of my family’s finances and money situation, colleges that had accepted me were not an option. Money was an issue that stopped me from living away from home at college. I believe that money should not be an issue for teens and young adults who are trying to receive an education. High prices will guarantee a decline of education and might affect the bright futures of the youth of the country. Living away from home helps to improve and strengthen children’s responsibility, time management and other traits needed to live independently in the real world. This should be highly taken advantage of and my beliefs stand strong and solid the farther this economic decline travels.