A Guardian Angel

Chelsea - Twp. of Washington, New Jersey

I believe in guardian angels. I have no doubts that I have one of my very own, sitting behind me like a backseat driver. Most people hate real-life backseat drivers, but this one is special. My angel helps me choose the right path, and to make good decisions, and for that I am forever grateful. Some are not so lucky to have an ever-present angel.

I came across a boy in my neighborhood while I was driving home from play rehearsal yesterday. He was on a bike, struggling to ride because the amount of packages hanging from the handlebars threw off his balance. I know of him personally because I once babysat him when he was younger. He’s adopted by a single mother, and he does nothing but good for his mom. I passed him, waved, and went on my merry way. Before I thought about what I was doing, my car was in reverse and I headed back in his direction.

It was almost dark, so we struggled to fit his bike into the backseat of my car so I could drive him home, Once his seatbelt was buckled, he turned to me, sweaty and tired, and told me that his mother was sick and at home in bed. My heart went out to this little boy, and wondered where his guardian angel was.

When we reached his house it was dark. We unloaded the bike and all the groceries and I walked him up to the door. The guardian angel was obviously missing from his life, so I decided to try to make up for that. I told him I wanted to give him my phone number, so he could call me if he ever needed anything. He ran inside to find me a piece of paper, and when he brought out a single sheet, I thought nothing of it. He said it was the only paper he could find, so when I looked down to write, I was shocked. In the upper left hand corner of the stationary, there was a smiling angel with the words “Thank You” written beneath. I scribbled the number, trying to comprehend that strange fluke, while he mumbled a quick “thanks!” and ran inside to tend to his mom.

Typically I would think nothing of angel stationary, but it seemed to be much more than a coincidence then. It seemed perfectly natural that this boy’s guardian angel would be on that piece of paper, sending me sincere gratitude for watching over him while she could not be there. Ordinary people can stand in for guardian angels, and people do so each and every day while performing simple miracles.

Doing one act of kindness can make you somebody’s guardian angel when they are in need and least expect it. If that isn’t motivation to do one good thing a day, I don’t know what is. One thing I do know, however, is that I believe in guardian angels.