Happily Ever After

Vanessa - USA

I think that everyone can have the opportunity to live their life searching – and finding – their passion which will lead them to years filled with joy and love. I believe in the magic of happily ever after.

When I was young, I would spend every morning with my Mom before I went to kindergarten for the day. The two of us would play games together and watch Disney movies. As the day went on, my Mom would take time to prepare dinner for that night and begin cleaning the house. I loved trying to help her fold the laundry, dust the house, and even insist on helping her mop the kitchen floor. My mother would always go get the bucket and the mop to begin, and I would scurry to the kitchen drawers to find a dish rag to help with. I used to cherish helping with the chores because I would fantasize about being Cinderella. My Mom would always find me kneeling on the floor cleaning. She would laugh when she saw me crawl on my hands and knees with the wet rag while I sang “Bibbidi-Bobbidi-Boo” to myself. In my mind, I was living the fantasy of being Cinderella. I never took her laughter as offensive because the whole time I was cleaning, I would enjoy pretending to be the unfortunate princess. I always thought that my Mom was living her own fairytale, being with the ones she loved, and I would dream that my fairy tale would also come one day. I would help with the chores and imagine that my Fairy God Mother would come take me away. She would sweep me off my feet into a dazzling ball gown, escort me to my pumpkin carriage in my glass slippers, and then whisk me to a wonderful Ball where I would meet my one true Prince Charming. My loving Prince Charming and I would spend the rest of our lives loving every moment we had together.

Now, at the age of twenty three, I still believe that happily ever after exists. Some people may say I am naive or unrealistic. Others say that my expectations on life are immature or that fairy tale endings do not exist in the “real world.” I believe they do. I believe in the magic of love and friendship. I believe that everyone deserves a happily ever after no matter what that may be for them. “The magic is as wide as a smile and as narrow as a wink, loud as laughter and quiet as a tear, tall as a tale and deep as emotion. So strong, it can lift the spirit. So gentle, it can touch the heart. It is the magic that begins the happily ever after.” It is for these reasons that I always have, and always will, believe in the magic of happily ever after.