Honey Tastes Better

Melanie - Jacksonville, Florida

I believe that you catch more flies with honey than with vinegar, and that our lives can be enhanced if we just open ourselves up to the possibility of just being nice to everyone we come across, life is too short to spend it being angry all the time or mean to people. I know for a fact that people respect you more and turn to you more often when they need something when you are nice instead of mean. Finally, I believe that the person who benefits most from being kind is you.

Can you imagine; if just for a day, everyone in the world let go of their stereotypes, grudges and stresses of life and just experienced the day and their fellow man with an eye full of kindness? If each person just went out of their way to do one kind deed for each other, the results would be an epidemic of kindness; and what is the harm in that? Opening a door for somebody, picking up something that has fallen, giving a compliment, simply smiling at someone; these are all small gestures that do not require any strain, and don’t hurt us in any way, yet they can change the paths of someone’s whole day. People in the U.S. have come to not have expectations of their fellow man, or at least not good ones, so when the opportunity arises to prove that we are a nice society, I always take it. I hold doors for strangers, smile at people who are passing by in the street, I give compliments to people I do not know. I know that these things are making someone’s day a little bit easier or brighter and the thought of making someone else’s day better ultimately makes my day great! I see it this way; life is too short to spend it angry. What benefit do we get by being mean to people? None that i know of. But the benefits of being kind are numberless and the act of doing so is nearly effortless.

When employers look for a job occupant, do you think they would hire the applicant with the scowl and furrowed brow who is cursing up a storm because they had to wait even though they had an appointment? Or do you think they would be more likely to hire the smiling cheery applicant waiting patiently? Say you are a server in a restaurant, do you think you would be more likely o get a bigger tip if you ignored your table, did not smile or make eye contact and was rude or if you had a big welcoming smile, gave them compliments and provided friendly service? I know which one I do when I am serving tables; the second one, and my tips most definitely reflect my attitude toward my tables; gracious and appreciative. When someone is having bad day a smile from a stranger can be the light in a dark tunnel, their whole day can be changed by one little effortless smile, so why not be the one who smiles first?

I am from New Jersey, and where I am from, people are not known to be nice, in fact, they are known to be brash, rude and obnoxious at best. I refuse to live up to that stereotype, if need be, I will be the first ‘Jersey girl’ to be nice to everyone I meet! At work people genuinely do not believe me when I say that I am from up north because they think I am “too nice” to be from there. Now, what is that saying about our society that a person is considered strange for being too nice?

Just because I am a nice person and I do little good deeds here and there does not mean I can be taken advantage of, I know when to stand up for myself; I just do not see a need to be rude when I do. I believe some people are afraid to be taken advantage of if they are nice to others, but they just have to learn the difference on how to be a nice, smart person and a nice pushover. Unfortunately, the whole world is not going to change their mean ways in a day, and some people may prey upon people‘s kindness and willingness to do good deeds, therefore, we must be smart in our efforts to spread kindness.

Little gestures such as smiling or holding a door for someone do not require a lot of effort from us, so why don’t we make it a goal to do at least one good deed for a stranger every day, that will enhance someone else’s life, as well as your own.