Try Again

Clarissa - Lexington, Kentucky

Albert Einstein once said, “I have not failed. I have found 10,000 ways that don’t work.” This quote really inspires me to keep trying even if I fail at the same thing 10,000 times. It took me about that many times to learn to make a loop on a pin for jewelry, but now I’m getting pretty good, even if all the loops are different. This quote makes me think of the fact that there isn’t just one perfect way to do something. Some of life’s greatest happiness comes from accidents. If you fall down in a grocery store, prince charming might just be there to help you up. So, even though I’m no Einstein, I know that it is okay to find ways that don’t work.

Everybody makes mistakes. I know I have made my fair share. It’s what makes us human. Making mistakes makes it possible to do better next time. Every day we do things over because we don’t like the first result. We don’t find faults with ourselves for trying again. In school, we revise our writing to make it more concise. At home we might hang a picture in two or three spots before deciding where we really want to hang it. Sometimes our mistakes can makes us laugh.( it was so obvious where to hang that picture right?)

For some of us, it takes making a lot of mistakes to finally learn and get what you want. I ruined my first real relationship by being too critical and immature. Calling names isn’t something a sixteen and seventeen year old should be doing. I wasn’t loyal but lied and said I would be. I took his kindness for weakness and pushed him around. I didn’t want what I had so I changed it by hurting someone who truly loved me. Now I’ve moved on but it’s still hard to think about my mistakes and how things would be different. The trouble you get in is usually not worth the thrill in making a mistake. And sometimes you risk getting in too deep anyway. It’d be much easier if you knew how something would turn out before you decide to do something foolish and hurtful. In the long run, though, some mistakes are worth making. Like for me, I am not happy that my relationship ended, but I have a new one and I wouldn’t trade it.

My mom always tells me that “IF” is the biggest little word in the dictionary. IF changes lives. If she never decided to work in a bowling alley instead of going to college and IF she hadn’t moved in with her friend in a crappy apartment building, where my Dad also happened to live, I wouldn’t be here. I wouldn’t be here getting ready to go to college in a few months and I wouldn’t be here writing this essay trying to tell everyone that it is okay to make mistakes.

I believe that mistakes are miracles in disguise and we have to explore what’s bad and ugly to get to what’s right and beautiful. We have to take our lives as they come. I believe that there is no one easy way to do anything. There are limitless possibilities.