I Believe in Superheroes

Matt - Austin, Texas

I believe in superheroes. Just as an example, I, myself, am one. I only stumbled upon this realization recently, and I must say it came as quite a shock. Unfortunately, the knowledge that one has super powers carries a great deal of weight and responsibility. I must admit that as of yet, I haven’t used my abilities for much good.

I first began to suspect I had supernatural traits when I examined my parents. There is no question in my mind that they were not born of this Earth. They may look and seem like normal people, but they are aliens, through and through. Perhaps that’s what accounts for my condition, much like the more renowned hero, Superman. My father is unable to sleep unless there are ten pillows on his bed and he is clearly from a planet where humor does not exist. My mother has the peculiar habit of standing like a flamingo, would be content cleaning for twenty-two hours out of the day, and repeatedly tells me of her psychic abilities. These are traits not common amongst humans.

Obviously, the most convincing evidence of my hero stature lies in my powers. I have the power to love, or hate. I have the power to forget all those meaningless hours on the clock, with the exceptions of Happy Hour and sunset. I have the power to build others up, or tear them down. I do have the power to fly, but I am only able to achieve one direction so far and I have not perfected stopping. I have the power of my words, my thoughts, and my touch to substantially change someone’s day, year, or lifetime. Through sheer force of will, I can make you laugh, or cry.

I am most certainly real, but I share many striking similarities to our modern fictional heroes. I, too, have weaknesses. The most notable of these are foods, intoxicants, and women. Much to my dismay, I am also currently susceptible to pain and physical harm, but I suspect this condition is temporary. As a teenager, I distinctly remember being both ten feet tall and bulletproof.

In the past, I didn’t always realize that I could have such an effect on my friends, family, or strangers. I now recognize that I have these abilities, and I choose to use them for good. I choose to make more people’s days better, even through the slightest actions. I choose to love more, and build others up more. I choose to cause as many smiles as possible. As human beings, we all have these super abilities that can change people’s lives for the better. I am a superhero, and you are too. We can save people. This I believe.