I Believe in Sass

Hillary - Austin, Texas

I believe in sass. During my senior year in high school, I read in a teen magazine that if you wear plain black heels to prom, you’ll regret it your whole life. They insisted, “Buy a colored pair!,” and although I can’t remember what shoes I wore on prom night, the advice has always stuck with me.

I have 6 pairs of boots with trinkets and fringes. I have 19 pairs of high heels and platforms; orange, blue, and brown moccasins. I have every possible pattern of sock. I have purple slacks and paint-covered pants– it’s the blue jeans that never get worn.

I never stop at the boldly colored, patterned dress. I’ll probably sass it up with a colored belt… and maybe some cowboy boots… perhaps some argyle socks as well… Throw in some big, dangly earrings for good measure. Now, gold bling– that is sass.

Some people compliment my outfits. My roommates cringe. My mom convinces herself that I pull it off somehow. I don’t put on airs that what I’m wearing is fashionable, but I think people figure that out by my unbrushed hair and sloppy make-up. My mismatched, eclectic clothing never makes me feel odd.

When I look back at photos of myself, I’m not sure I’ll be pleased with my outfit choices (although I’ll probably be wearing something worse in my old age). The important thing is that I had the confidence to be different and wore what I pleased.

I’ve never met someone who dresses boldly and doesn’t have a colorful personality to match. To me, wearing plain outfits is an acceptance of being average. I always want to start the day with excitement as I throw together a gaudy outfit.

I don’t believe in saving dresses for a special event. Carpe diem. Wear that treasured article of clothing any day or every day. Every day can be an occasion if you make it one, and looking sassy should be a lifestyle.

One of these days, when I get a “missed connection” on Craigslist or a “Shot in the Dark” in the Austin Chronicle, I’ll know it’s for me because the title will say “To the girl with turquoise boots” or “Brunette in the llama vest,” and that will make me feel special.