at the bottom

peter - LaGrange, Illinois
Themes: work

At the bottom

I believe that a summer job is the best way to build character.(pause) As teenagers living in the suburbs of Chicago we live a privileged life. For the most part we live in nice houses where our parents pay for everything and we don’t have to pay bills or work. All that is asked of us is to go to school for 9 months out of the year and some of us can barely survive that. We are basically mooching off of our parents all day everyday which is understandable considering that’s how it’s always been for us. All it takes is a few hours of getting your hands dirty and doing real work to realize how lucky we are.

A few summers ago I decided I wanted to caddy at the country club to make some extra cash because my parents really have never given me an allowance and once you get to junior high you start (quotation mark hand symbols) “needing things” that you realize cost money. For me caddying was and is an experience unlike any other. It wasn’t until I started < carrying < 30 pound bags for 5 miles in the blazing heat that > I realized how little > I have accomplished in my life. It has been a truly humbling experience to find out that people have made enough money in their lifetime that they can afford to come out once maybe twice a week and boss me around for 50 bucks. I don’t care who you are if you can do that while being retired you’ve done something with your life. Being out their for that long and working that hard gives you a sense of how hard they’ve had to work in order to arrive at that position of authority. This is why I believe that summer jobs build character, it < shows you the meaning of hard work >, it shows < you how to do something > for yourself, it shows < you where you are in the world and also > where you would like to be.